We at the South Dakota Lottery want you to enjoy playing our games, but it's also important that you play them responsibly. With that in mind, we offer you the following tips:
Tips for Playing Responsibly
- Play for fun and entertainment.
- Only spend what you can afford to lose.
- Use your entertainment budget to play - not money needed for daily living expenses.
- Set a spending limit. Once you reach your limit, stop playing.
- Set a time limit. Once you reach your limit, stop playing.
- Understand that winning and losing are both a part of gambling.
- Never borrow money to gamble.
- Never gamble to win back losses.
- Don't let gambling interfere with family, friends, or work.
- Don't use gambling as a way to cope with emotional or physical pain.
- Know the warning signs of problem gambling.
Warning Signs of Problem Gambling*
- Preoccupied with gambling and unable to stop
- Bragging about gambling, exaggerating wins and minimizing losses
- Restless and irritable when not gambling
- Gambling to win back what you've lost
- Borrowing money for gambling
- Lying to hide time spent gambling or unpaid debts
- Frequent unexplained absences
- Losing work time because of gambling
- Jeopardizing a significant relationship or job by gambling
* Adapted from materials provided by the National Council on Problem Gambling
If you think you or someone you know may have a gambling problem, call the toll-free Problem Gambling HELPline at 1-888-781-4357.
Click here for more information on problem gambling.