JOIN THE FUN
Over 600 businesses currently contribute to the state's economic vitality as Lottery retailers. The Lottery recognizes ticket retailers as important partners and pays retailers a 5 percent commission on the sale of each lottery ticket, plus incentive commissions.
Scratch ticket retailers have earned more than $27 million in commissions from selling tickets, and Lotto ticket retailers have earned more than $25 million in commissions.
BECOME A LOTTERY RETAILER
You currently have two options to choose from to complete and submit your application - online or hard copy. Through the online application process, you can easily complete the form and submit it electronically and make any required payments electronically. For the hard copy process, you must print, complete and mail all necessary forms and make required payments by check. While online application is currently voluntary, in the future it will become mandatory for all applicants. If you'd like to apply electronically, click Online Application. To apply by hard copy, follow the checklist instructions below.
The following checklist will help you complete the application process. The forms must be printed, completed, signed, and notarized in some cases.
Scratch Ticket & Lotto Retailer Application Checklist
Once you've completed the forms, please send all of the forms and your application fee to the South Dakota Lottery, 711 E. Wells Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501. Call the Lottery at (605) 773-5770 if you have any questions or want more information about becoming a Lottery retailer.
- Complete the Application Form PDF Application Form Instructions PDF
- Complete Individual History Forms for each individual listed in Section 7 of the Application Form Individual History Form PDF, Individual History Form Instructions PDF
- Complete the Authorization for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Form EFT Form PDF, EFT Form Instructions PDF
- Complete the W-9 Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Verification Form W-9 Form PDF
- An application fee of $1,200 is required and must accompany your application documents. Please make checks payable to the South Dakota Lottery
- Effective July 1, 2017, a Federal Bureau of Investigation background check is required. This involves the use of state and federal fingerprint cards for new applicants and current licensees. For more information on the requirements for this process, contact the Security Division of the South Dakota Lottery at (605) 773-5770.
Note: All Lottery retailers are required to sell both instant tickets and lotto tickets with the exception of retailers on Indian Reservations who are prohibited from selling lotto tickets.
Retailers are charged $12.93 per week for communications costs. As an incentive, retailers who sell $5,000 or more in instant tickets in a quarter are credited $168.09 (13 weeks of communications costs) at the end of that quarter. Retailers who are part of a chain in which the chain's per store average is $6,000 in instant ticket sales for a quarter are credited the communications costs for that quarter. A chain store is defined as two or more stores under the same ownership or entity.
Pursuant to SDCL 42-7A-50, information provided in license applications is considered confidential information on file with the South Dakota Lottery except:
-Business name, business address, and business phone number; and -Name of any video lottery operator including, if the video lottery operator is a partnership, the name of any partner and, if the video lottery operator is an association or corporation, the name of any director, any officer, and any stockholder who owns five percent or more of the stock in the association or a parent or subsidiary corporation.